THE CHILDREN’S ASSESSMENT CENTER
2012 JOB DESCRIPTION
POSITION TITLE: Family Advocate
DEPARTMENT: The Children’s Assessment Center
DIVISION: Forensic Services Division
HOURS: Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Must possess a Masters level mental health degree in Clinical Social Work, Counseling, Psychology, Child Development
- Licensure or Temporary Licensure preferred
- Two or more years experience working with abuse/trauma populations
- Working knowledge of child welfare system and community resources, preferred
- Experience with child protective, child advocacy and legal systems.
- Knowledge of available local community resources and child protective services.
Must possess Master’s Degree; Licensure or Temporary Licensure preferred.
- Able to engage children and families of all ages, ethnicities, genders, and socioeconomic backgrounds to restore and enhance psychosocial functioning of individuals and families adversely affected by child abuse/trauma
- Knowledge of and ability to apply social work theory, methods and techniques; knowledge of post-traumatic symptoms, stages of child development, and crisis intervention techniques required
- Ability to provide individual, family, and group solution-focused therapy, and supportive counseling
- Must be able to work professionally and collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary setting
- Strong oral and written communication skills essential
Implement early intervention and psychosocial support model, which represents the interest of victims of child sexual abuse and their non-offending caregivers. Service provision aimed at stabilization and easing resumption of normal life, thereby preventing pathological consequences of potentially traumatic situations. Conducts assessments, diagnostics, and treatment through individual, family, and group therapy, supportive counseling, crisis intervention, psycho-education, and resource coordination. Ensures understanding of investigative process and dynamics of sexual abuse. Works collaboratively with caregivers and social system from initial investigation through resolution of case. Consults with partner agencies and attends multi-disciplinary case staffing. Provides consultations, community and professional presentations.