Frequently Asked Questions

What is The Children’s Assessment Center?

The Children’s Assessment Center (The CAC) provides services to sexually abused children and their families. We employ an effective multidisciplinary team approach in the prevention, assessment, and treatment of child sexual abuse and child sex trafficking victims.

Do I have to pay for The CAC’s services?

All services are FREE to children and their families.

How do I report suspected child abuse to The Children’s Assessment Center?

To report abuse, call the toll-free 24/7 Abuse Hotline (1-800-252-5400) or report through this secure website (

Call 911 or your local law enforcement agency if you have an emergency or life-threatening situation.

How are children and families referred to The CAC?

Law enforcement investigators and DFPS caseworkers refer children and families to The CAC after receiving a report of alleged child abuse. A member of those agencies will contact you to schedule services for your child.

Can I refer my child or another child to The CAC if I suspect abuse?

Please call law enforcement or DFPS to report sexual abuse. Only these two sources can refer children to The CAC.

What do I need to bring with me for my child’s appointment?

All adults entering The CAC will need a photo ID to check-in at the security desk.

If your child had a medical examination at The CAC or another medical facility, please bring any paperwork you were provided from that visit.

Is The CAC taking special precautions during COVID?

The CAC requires all staff or visitors entering the building to go through a temperature screening and wear a mask during their visit. Only one family member is allowed in the building with a child.  The CAC also follows county guidelines regarding social distancing and capacity restrictions.

What happens when I first arrive at The CAC?

After checking in with Security, children and families will continue to Central Intake to complete their check-in process. Central Intake will then notify the person you are meeting and you may wait in the waiting area to be escorted.  If this is your first visit to The CAC, a Family Advocate will be available to guide you through the process and answer any questions you may have.

How do I request records from The CAC?

To request records please contact Raevann Fuller, Custodian of Records, at


Forensic Interview

How are forensic interviews conducted?

We offer a child-friendly environment where specialized forensic interviewers obtain information in a non-leading, non-threatening manner. The forensic interviewer will be the only one in the room with your child, and the room has been set up as a therapeutic environment.


Medical Evaluation

Will my child need a medical evaluation?

Your child may be referred for a medical examination. Specialized medical professionals will discuss this with you and will determine the extent of the medical examination for your child if one is needed.


Therapy and Psychological Services

What are The CAC’s Therapy and Psychological Services?

The CAC offers services to children and families who have experienced sexual abuse.  The services we offer include therapy, psychological evaluations, and psychiatric evaluations and medication follow ups.  We offer these services to the child victim, siblings, and non-offending caregivers in both English and Spanish.  Our focus is the delivery of trauma informed and evidence based treatments which can effectively address trauma symptoms and help clients heal from their experience of child sexual abuse.

How is a referral for Therapy and Psychological Services generated?

Law enforcement, DFPS caseworkers, or our CAC family advocates will assess the need for services and complete a referral.  Self-referrals from the community are not accepted due to our working protocols.


If you have questions that were not answered above, please call us at (713) 986-3300 or send an email to